Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Lets talk about IUD's

We don't talk about sexual education enough in the USA, especially continued sexual education. Nothing with our bodies are set and forget for long, things change and we need to keep up with how we change as we age, so facing my third IUD I became very upset when my doctor told me different information then the manufactures website, saying that Lyletta and Kyleena are the same... they are Not! So lets go over what I've found, I'm not a doctor, I'm a consumer and Very upset about all the misinformation flying around. Specifically I'm going to look at what the drug manufacturers are telling us from their own websites. focusing on actual physical size and drug dosage. Understanding that IUD stands for IntraUterine Device, they are one 99% affective and last for YEARS. Really IUD's are some of the Best birth control out there! Each one has goods and bads and you should really talk to your doctor about what's best for you but do a little research first so if your doc is little turned around by all this, you still feel good about what you decide is best for you.

First the names.

Mirena: This was my first IUD, back in the day when we didn't have the smaller IUD's for women that haven't had children. 5 years no babies Awesome! Most of the time no period and about once every three to five months cramps so bad they put me on the floor but still better then labor pains so I count this as a Win!

Liletta: This is what my doc had all set up for me, works for 5 years. I did the research and am glade I did because I'm going to go for Kyleena.

Kyleena: Why Kyleena well according to the Liletta website it's the same size as Skyla but last 5 years

Skyla also known as Jaydess: This is the one I have now it's like a lovely vacation from my period! I love everything about it accept that it's only 3years.

There is also ParaGard no hormones, copper and Large! Oh but did I mention it's good for 10 Years!

Now for screen shots of comparisons this is from the doctors side of the Liletta website

MY Doctor straight up told me that after consulting with the drug rep that Liletta was the same size and dose as the Kyleena But Right on the Liletta web site it blatantly says its 52mg and the larger 32mm so more comparable to the Mirena. But if you look at the grater internet you see what my doctor was saying everywhere! This IS NOT Accurate! but is one of the first sites to pop up when trying compare your IUD options... So Aggravating!

So back to the facts given my the manufacturers this is the Bayer website

So if you're going from the horses mouth this is how the amount of hormones compare. However some of the confusion comes from the amount of medication tapering off over time.

Mirena: 52mg levonorgestrel

Liletta: 52mg Levonorgestrel

Kyleena: 19.5mg levonorgestrel

Skyla also known as Jaydess: 13.5mg levonorgestrel

ParaGard no hormones

Now to Size.

link to this pamphlet witch has a good bit of info and this pic

Size is kinda important to me, as I Have Never had kids! You have to get these things through your cervix and for me or anyone not in your doctors office this is painful as all #%^&*! You know think about it like this: when women are all in pain about to give birth but they won't start things till she's dilated to 10cm. Well the Kyleena( one of the smallest IUDs) insertion tool is a 3.8 cm so close to half way to go time with a baby!... okay so I'm being dramatic here but they LIE, it Hurts! It hurts a lot and If this whole blog doesn't prove how angry I get when lied to, then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ shrug.

The biggest is Paragard, though I'm not happy about the little disclosure of "Not actual size." witch seams to defeat the purpose of having a size comparison on their site.

A thank you to Bayer for this lovely dice size comparison for their larger Mirena. Which is basically the same size as Liletta witch can we take a minute and just shake our head at them naming this Liletta, not only is is hard to remember but it just to close to Lolita for anyone to be comfortable with it as birth control...

Bayers Kyleena

and for their smaller Skyla notice the hot pink background as this is heavily marketed to the younger (never had kids) group of women the whole reason we have this smaller version is for the younger child free market so if that's you awesome it was literally made for you enjoy never forgetting to take a pill.

So for Size we are at

ParaGard 1.41in or 36mm long by 1.6in

Mirena: 1.29in or 32mm long (by from what I can find about 32mm)

Liletta: 1.259in or 32mm long by x32

Kyleena: 1.18in or 29.972mm long (by from what I can find about 28mm)

Skyla also known as Jaydess: 1.18in or 29.972mm long (by from what I can find about 28mm)

I hope this clarifies some of the mass of confusing info out there on IUDs, they like everything with your health are a complicated topic so keep looking in to them. They are scary to get, Lovely to have and you won't know how your body will react to any birth control method till you try them. I know this one has a steep learning curve but the pay off is worth it in my opinion.

Liletta - Lolita shakes head yep not going to get over that one any time soon...

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this. There's not enough information like this out on the internet and this is very helpful.

    ReplyDelete